Marigold Law Center, Your Voice, Our Help!

Your Voice,
Our Help

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Immigration Law
  4.  » Family-Based Petitions

Attorney Guidance For Family-Based Petitions: Help For Realizing Your Family’s Dream.

Last updated on May 16, 2024

If you are a United States citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR) and you wish to begin the process of having your migrant family member acquire lawful status in the United States, you must first file a Form I-130.

At Marigold Law Center, our experienced attorneys help families find solutions for complex immigration issues, such as family-based petitions, fiancée visas, K-1 visas or marriage visas. With offices in Hyattsville, Maryland, and Los Angeles, California, we offer nationwide service and can answer your questions.

What Is A Form I-130?

A Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, is a form that establishes a valid relationship between a United States citizen or LPR and their migrant family member. This form’s filing and subsequent approval are necessary for your migrant family to eventually acquire LPR status (also called a green card).

A Form I-130 is not a visa; it does not give your family member a lawful immigration status or protection from deportation. This document only establishes that you are related to your family member who eventually wants to acquire LPR status.

Who Can File A Form I-130?

A natural-born or naturalized United States citizen or LPR can file a Form I-130. In the family-based petition process, these individuals are called “petitioners.”

Who Benefits From A Form I-130?

A United States citizen or LPR files a Form I-130 for a parent, spouse, child, or sibling. Your migrant family member is the “beneficiary.” Beneficiaries can be currently in the United States or abroad.

After A Form I-130 Is Approved, What Is Next?

Generally, after a Form I-130 is approved, the beneficiary’s case is evaluated to determine if they can now pursue adjustment of status (if they currently reside in the United States) or consular processing (if they are currently living abroad).

The necessary wait times for beneficiaries of an approved Form I-130 to apply for adjustment of status (a Form I-485 or green card application) or visa application (consular processing) is based on a wide range of circumstances that an attorney at the Strait Law, P.C. carefully evaluates.

Turn To Your Trusted Legal Partner For Family Immigration Matters

For more information on family-based petitions and whether you or a family member can benefit from this process, please call Marigold Law Center toll-free at 323-714-0195 or email us to schedule a free consultation. With offices in Hyattsville, Maryland, and Los Angeles, California, our family immigration lawyers serve people nationwide.